Vegetarian

Yes, You CAN Eat Pizza!

Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Nutrition is consistently the area in which I struggle most. I tell myself that it's because I love food too much, but that is just an excuse. Especially when you consider what I had for dinner last night: thick, chewy, satisfying PIZZA!  Don't believe me?  Feast your eyes:


I love pizza. In fact, I can't order from a pizza joint or I WILL eat and eat and eat and.....you get the picture. However, even after all that eating, I still don't feel satisfied. Is that weird? Am I the only one? Regardless, this recipe totally changes everything.  Not only is this crust everything I love about a good pan pizza crust, but I also don't have to feel guilty for indulging because it's made from CAULIFLOWER!  And no, it doesn't taste like the veggie at all.  And, yes, you can pick it up and eat it with your hands like a "real" slice.  So, without further ado:

Cauliflower Pizza 
Makes 1 large 8 cut pizza

Ingredients:

1/2 head cauliflower
3 eggs, beaten
3 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
3 tsp garlic powder
3 tsp oregano

Sauce and desired toppings

Directions:

  1. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Rice the cauliflower.  You can either do this with a hand grater or a food processor with the grating blade.  Half of a large head of cauliflower should yield about 3 cups.  Feel free to rice the remaining half as well for a future pizza.
  3. Microwave the cauliflower, uncovered, for 8 minutes.  Drain any excess water, if present.  If you riced the entire head, freeze the remaining cauliflower for future use.
  4. Combine the cooked cauliflower, the beaten eggs, cheese, and spices until well-mixed.  You should now have a wet dough.
  5. Using your hands, mold the dough into your favorite type of crust:  thin, thick, round, square - they all work!  Mold a little "lip" around the edge if desired.
  6. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until crust is golden around the edges.
  7. Top pizza as desired.  Return to oven for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and toppings are heated through.  Slice and serve immediately.
This time I used turkey pepperoni and fat free mozzarella, but I have used roasted veggies in the past.  One of these days I will attempt my ultimate weakness: buffalo chicken pizza.  Feel free to experiment!  Oh, and if you do, send me your results!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE





Like Me on Facebook